Connect2Canada Logo


Connect2Canada is a network for friends of Canada in the United States. Members can receive updates on a variety of issues, from cross-border business success stories to local Canadian cultural events.

Discover Canada

Where can I learn more about studying in Canada?

Check out the following websites:

Where can I find information about working in Canada?

Visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s page to learn more about how to apply to Work in Canada.  You can also travel and work in Canada as a youth as part of the International Experience Canada program.

Where can I find information about tourism in Canada?

Visit the following websites:

How can I get information about the Canada-U.S. Border?

For questions about the border, we suggest you refer to the Canada Border Services Agency website. The CBSA provides a wealth of information, from border wait times (updated hourly) to documents on border initiatives, and information for general travellers to detailed policies for importers and exporters.

I’m interested in doing business with Canadian companies. How should I proceed?

Trade Commissioner Service

Where can I find information if I’m interested in setting up or expanding a business in Canada?

Invest in Canada

Where can I find information about the Government of Canada?
I’d like to visit Canada. Do I need a visa, and if so, how can I get it?

Find out what document you need to travel, visit family and friends, do business, or transit through Canada, and how to extend your stay.

Where can I find out about moving to Canada?

Do you want to work, study, or live permanently in Canada? Each immigration program has different application and eligibility requirements. Visit Immigration and Citizenship Canada to learn more about what immigration programs you can apply for.

For Canadians

I have questions about travelling to the United States. Where should I look?

For general information about travelling to the U.S., we suggest you refer to the Travel Report for the United States. For information regarding border crossing requirements, please visit the U.S. CBP site.

I am moving (or returning) to Canada. Where can I get information about this process?
My child was born abroad. How do I obtain their Canadian citizenship?
How can I vote in Canadian Elections?

For questions about voting in Canadian elections, we suggest you refer to the Elections Canada website for information for Canadians living abroad.

How can I locate Canadian diplomatic missions? (Embassy, Consulate, High Commission, Trade Office)

The Consular Affairs Bureau provides information and assistance services to Canadians living and travelling abroad. Visit for travel advisories, country information, and other resources for a successful trip.

Here is the list of Canadian Consulates in the United States and a full list of all Canadian offices abroad.

Other helpful links:

Where can I renew or apply for a Canadian passport?
  • Canadians in the U.S. apply for the passport by mail directly with the Passport Program. Please visit the Canadian Passport Program’s website for more information on the application process.
  • If you need a passport urgently contact the Canadian Citizen Services Contact Centre for Canadians in the U.S. at 1-844-880-6519. Additional fees apply for urgent services.
  • If you cannot find a Canadian guarantor for your application note that you also have the option of using a professional guarantor. More information is available online here.
I need information on Canada-United States related taxes, investments and tax treaties. Where can I access resources and frequently asked questions?
I forgot my Social Insurance Number (SIN). Who do I contact?

If you don’t remember your SIN, you can find it on your income tax return or you can request a confirmation of your SINfrom Service Canada. You can reach Service Canada by phone at 1-800-206-7218.

Can the Embassy help me arrange a White House tour?

Unfortunately, the Embassy of Canada is unable to arrange tours of the White House for Canadian citizens. More information is available on our website here.

I need a copy of my Canadian birth certificate. Who do I contact?

Canadian birth certificates are issued by the vital statistics office of the province or territory in which the birth occurred. Please refer to Service Canada for provincial and territorial information on how to apply for a birth certificate

Does my provincial health insurance cover me while traveling abroad? Should I purchase travel insurance?
  • Your provincial or territorial health plan may cover nothing or only a very small portion of the costs of medical care abroad, and never up front. Check with your province directly for more information on coverage.
  • Don’t let unforeseen bills ruin your vacation. Purchase the best travel insurance you can afford before you go! More information on travel insurance is available here.
Can I register with the government when I travel abroad?

Yes! Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. Complete your registration online

Bilateral Relations

Interested in partnering with the Embassy?

Periodically, the Embassy of Canada may have partnership opportunities available for Canadian companies or associations for public diplomacy events. Please contact [email protected] for additional information.

Where do I go to learn more about Canada-U.S. relations and the North American trade relationship?
Can I visit the Canadian Embassy in Washington?

The Embassy is located at 501 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. The Embassy courtyard, lobby, and art gallery (during exhibits only) are open to the public from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays). If you do visit, please sign the Guest Book in the lobby.

Disclaimer: Connect2Canada has selected this list of links to provide as much useful and up-to-date information as possible. Please note that Connect2Canada and the Government of Canada are not responsible for the content of links listed above that are not Government of Canada websites.

For any other questions, please email [email protected]