Canada and the U.S. committed to a Roadmap for a Renewed U.S.-Canada Partnership to revitalize and expand the historic Canada-U.S. relationship. The Roadmap establishes a blueprint for an ambitious effort against the COVID-19 pandemic and in support of our mutual prosperity. It creates a partnership on climate change, advances global health security, bolsters cooperation on defense and security, and it reaffirms a shared commitment to diversity, equity and justice. These areas of cooperation make up the ‘six pillars’ of the Roadmap.
What is the “Roadmap”?
The COVID-19 pandemic knows no borders, and it has reinforced the value of cooperation between Canada and the U.S. Together, we have taken unprecedented action to control the pandemic, support our citizens, stabilize our economies and build resilience against future health challenges.
The Roadmap highlights our nations’ support for the multilateral institutions that are on the front lines of the COVID-19 response, including the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations (UN) development agencies.
Here are some action items on how Canada and the U.S. plan to defeat COVID-19.
- Work together to surge the health and humanitarian response to the global pandemic, respond to new variants, follow expert advice, and support global affordable access to and delivery of COVID-19 vaccines, including through the COVAX Facility.
- Highlight the importance of a transparent and independent evaluation and analysis, free from interference, of the origins of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Improve international institutions for global capacity for pandemic preparedness and response, including by working to strengthen and reform the WHO, and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).
- Emphasize the importance of urgent global action to advance health security, counter biological threats, prevent the next pandemic, and leverage existing pandemic preparedness arrangements and platforms.
- Recognize that coordinated border policies remain central to controlling COVID-19 and new variants while promoting economic growth and recovery.