“Building back better” represents a shared vision for a sustainable and inclusive economic recovery that strengthens the middle class, creates more opportunities for hard working people to join it, and ensures people have good jobs and careers on both sides of the border. Our leaders also recognized the opportunity for clean growth driven by workers, communities, businesses, and innovation.
Here are some action items on how Canada and the U.S. plan to build a sustainable and inclusive economic recovery.
- Address together the disproportionate impacts on women, youth, underrepresented groups, and Indigenous peoples.
- Implement measures to support women’s full and equal participation in the workforce, including with respect to early learning and childcare.
- Support small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), with a focus on women-owned and minority/Indigenous-owned SMEs through the leverage of the Canada-United States-Mexico-Agreement (CUSMA).
- Launch a strategy to strengthen Canada-U.S. supply chain security and reinforce the deeply interconnected and mutually beneficial economic relationship.
- Strengthen the Canada-U.S. Critical Minerals Action Plan to target a net-zero industrial transformation, batteries for zero-emissions vehicles, and renewable energy storage.