Frequently Asked Questions

About Connect2Canada

What is Connect2Canada?

Connect2Canada is a network for friends of Canada in the United States. Over 50,000 people have joined "Canada's network in the United States" since our launch on July 1, 2005. Members can receive updates on a variety of issues, from cross-border business success stories to local Canadian cultural events. To learn more, visit our About Us page.

Canada-U.S. Border

How can I get information about the Canada-U.S. Border?

For questions about the border, we suggest you refer to the Canada Border Services Agency website. The CBSA provides a wealth of information, from border wait times (updated hourly) to documents on border initiatives, and information for general travellers to detailed policies for importers and exporters.

I am a Canadian moving back to Canada. How can I get information about this process?

We suggest you visit the "I Declare" section of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) site. It provides an overview of the laws, restrictions, entitlements and obligations of Canadian residents returning from travel outside Canada.


How can I locate Canadian businesses in the United States?

The Doing Business with Canada section of the Canadian Embassy in Washington website provides detailed information on Canadian businesses, as well as directories and other resources related to business. 

Our State Trade Fact Sheets are another useful resource. They detail Canada's economic importance to each of the U.S. states, and highlight success stories.


Where can I find information about Canadian citizenship and obtaining proof of citizenship?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website provides up-to-date information on citizenship and proof of citizenship issues. You can learn about how to apply for Canadian citizenship and find useful information about becoming a Canadian Citizen

Contacting a Canadian

I have a long-lost friend or relative in Canada. Can the Canadian Government help me find them?

The Government of Canada, through Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, does provide a service of forwarding letters to the address the individual has on file with the Social Insurance Registry. However, there is no guarantee that this service will actually allow the letter to reach the person. Another avenue you may wish to pursue is to use the Canadian phone directory online.

Diplomatic Missions and Consular Services

How can I locate Canadian diplomatic missions? (Embassy, Consulate, High Commission, Trade Office)

Here is the list of Canadian Consulates in the United States. Here is the full list of all Canadian offices abroad.

Can I visit the Canadian Embassy in Washington?

The Embassy is located at 501 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. The Embassy courtyard, lobby, and art gallery (during exhibits only) are open to the public from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (except holidays). If you do visit, please sign the Guest Book in the lobby.

How will the Canadian Embassy find me in the event of an emergency or disaster? How do I register with the Canadian Embassy?

Foreign Affairs Canada offers a voluntary registration service for Canadians travelling or residing abroad. This service is provided in the event there is a need to contact Canadians to offer urgent advice during a natural disaster or civil unrest, or to inform them of a family emergency at home. Visit the Consular Affairs website to learn more and register online.

Where can I learn about consular and emergency services for Canadians?

The Consular Affairs Bureau provides information and assistance services to Canadians living and travelling abroad. Visit for travel advisories, country information, and other resources for a successful trip.


I am a student interested in attending university/college in Canada. Where can I get information?

The Education in Canada website provides information on Canadian universities. It features a blog, testimonials from current students, and links to Canadian universities, as well as information on tuition, visa requirements, financial aid, living expenses, study abroad opportunities, and admissions procedures. Canadian citizens in the U.S. are eligible for Canadian tuition rates in Canada. Americans are eligible for U.S. guaranteed student loans at most Canadian universities and will find Canadian tuition rates comparable to in-state tuition rates in the U.S.


How can I vote in Canadian Elections?

For questions about voting in Canadian elections, we suggest you refer to the Elections Canada website

Employment Opportunities in Canada

Where can I learn about job opportunities in Canada?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a series of online resources that are very useful for learning about employment in Canada. Its website contains information on the job market, on skills-development and educational opportunities, on job requirements, and on current and future job opportunities. We suggest you visit the CIC site.


How can I connect with  friends of Canada in my area?

Please visit our Get Connected page, which provides you with links to a numbers of organizations and online groups. 

Finance - Taxes, Investments, Tax Treaties and RRSPs

I need information on Canada-United States related taxes, investments and tax treaties. Where can I access resources and frequently asked questions?

The Canada Revenue Agency website provides comprehensive information about these issues, and the Internal Revenue Service has posted a helpful Frequently Asked Questions section on their site.

How do I get Canadian tax forms?

General Income Tax and Benefit Packages are available on the Canada Revenue Agency website. Unfortunately, the Embassy does not have paper copies of these forms available.

How can I get information about RRSPs?

For questions about RRSPs, we suggest you refer to the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Health Care

Where can I learn about Canadian Health Care?

Please visit the Health Canada website. It has useful resources about the Health Care System. We suggest you visit them to learn more!


How can I apply for a Canadian Passport? Why can't I renew my Canadian Passport?

For questions about passports, we encourage you to visit  the Passport Canada website

Do I need a passport to visit Canada?

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary.  If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

The Government of Canada continues to recommend that Canadian citizens carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United States. A passport is the only universally-accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada. 


How can I get information about retiring in Canada?

For questions about retiring in Canada, we suggest you refer to the Social Development Canada website. The International Benefits section may be of assistance. We also suggest you consult the Retirement Pensions and Benefits page for general information about retirement planning.

Travel to Canada/Visiting Canada

Do I need a passport to visit Canada?

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary.  

Please visit the Canada Border Services Agency site for complete details. Remember, the passport is the recommended travel and identification document for all Canadian travellers.

Do I need a visa to visit Canada?

As is true with all countries, there are different rules about visas for different situations when entering Canada. For information about visas, we suggest you refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. It lists all of the countries whose citizens require visas to visit Canada.

I am moving to Canada for the first time. Where can I get general information about the process and Canada in general?

Congratulations on your decision to experience new beginnings and adventures in a new country! Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website offers a great deal of information on moving to Canada, including the useful guide, "A Newcomer's Introduction to Canada."

Travel to the United States

I have questions about travelling to the United States. Where should I look?

For general information about travelling to the U.S., we suggest you refer to the Travel Report for the United States on the Consular Affairs website. For information regarding border crossing requirements, please visit the U.S. CBP site.

Disclaimer: Connect2Canada has selected this list of links to provide as much useful and up-to-date information as possible. Please note that Connect2Canada and the Government of Canada are not responsible for the content of links listed above that are not Government of Canada websites.